Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Psst! I have something to tell you!


Hi staff! W
elcome back! I hope you all had a fabulous summer. I did -- I spent a HUGE chunk of my summer exploring the wonderful world of Web 2.0. What's Web 2.0? Oh, I am so happy you asked. I'd love to explain everything I learned, but that would take too long. How about I share two of my new favourite tools with you?
...It is going to be an exciting year!


Niki's New Number One Tool - Blogs

As Will Richardson defines in his great resource book "Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms", a weB LOG (blog) is "an easily created, easily updateable Website that allows an author (or authors) to publish instantly to the Internet from any Internet connection... They are comprised of reflections and conversations... Blogs engage readers with ideas and questions and links. They ask readers to think and respond. They demand interaction" (p. 17-18).



I am very excited to be creating my own classroom blog this year. I plan to use the blog to:
  • Share important dates/calendar
  • Share school and classroom procedures
  • Share student work
  • Share student pictures
  • Share reading samples (in audio recordings)
  • Provide a venue for communication with students, parents, administration, other classrooms, the community (neighbours, extended family, school division, etc.) The communication is initiated by either the teacher or the students and is meant to be responded to by our "audience".
Two good (free) blog hosts are Blogger and WordPress. However, there are many more. You can explore a list like 40+ Free Blog Hosts from Mashable to find one that will best suit your needs. I have used Blogger and would love to support you with this tool, or I'd be happy to discover a new one and learn alongside you.



Blogger has many "how to" videos that can help you along the way as well.

But the beauty of creating a blog is that it can be whatever you want. There can be as much, or as little student content as you want. You can decide if you want a specific theme or focus to the blog. You can decide how often you will post to the blog. You are in charge!

If I haven't sold you on the idea of blogging yet, consider these benefits explained by Richardson. According to research that Richardson studied, blogs can: (p. 20)
  • promote critical and analytical thinking
  • be a powerful promoter of creative, intuitive, and associational thinking to promote analogical thinking
  • be a powerful medium for increasing access and exposure to quality information
  • combine the best of solitary reflection and social interaction

Another Awesome Tool - Animoto

I thought I'd share this great, little gem with you as well because it is a fun, easy-to-use tool that produces fantastic, professional-looking videos utilizing music and your photographs. These videos can easily be integrated into your classroom blogs for a very polished finished product!



To add to the simplicity of this tool , if you utilize an on-line photo sharing site like Flickr, Animoto can retrieve the files from there. (I'd be happy to discuss photo sharing with you another day! hint, hint, nudge, nudge!)

Here is a sample video that I created of my son in under five minutes!




But why use Web 2.0 tools?

Manitoba Education and Training has developed a "Literacy with ICT" (Information and Communication Technology) document that states "Although students in the past have focused on developing literacy skills such as reading, writing, and numeracy, 21 st-century students must develop multiple literacies that will allow them to respond to changing ideas, attitudes and technologies as their communities and their world evolve."

Our students are growing up in a digital era. It is important that at a minimum, we keep up, but optimally, that we light the way for their journeys.

Ready to get started?


...And now, back to reality!

Do I think it will go so smoothly and everyone will be as keen as me? Definitely not! I have sat through many professional development sessions where the presenter is passionate, but I did not catch the excitement. I have tuned out even the most dynamic presenter when I had to sit still too long. I have dismissed someone else's passion when I had my own exciting vision to follow.

However, I can't be too pessimistic. Even if I inspire just one colleague, then I have inspired one colleague and that is worth celebrating! Yah!

I need to be transparent to my colleagues. I need to be actively, visibly using the tools I have promoted and be willing to assist others on their journeys, as well. This could be achieved by creating a monthly focus group. I will encourage my colleagues to participate through experimentation, but I recognize that some may feel more comfortable learning through observation. I will recommend the school purchase multiple copies of Will Richardson's "Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms" for this focus group. I found it to be an excellent resource -- easy to read, informative, and inspiring.

I will continue to promote and showcase my technology adventures through an informal sharing at our monthly staff meetings. Hopefully over time, shifting to having my colleagues (focus group) sharing their adventures. It would be important to keep the sharing somewhat brief to maintain interest and I would continue to extend the invitation to other staff to join the focus group. I hope this would also evolve into the inclusion of many more wonderful technologies. This feels like it is only the tip of the iceburg!

I am also making an assumption that I will even be able to access these tools at school. There are a number of sites that are blocked in our school division and I have not tried to access these yet. However, if they are blocked, I may simply be making my "pitch" to the school division to try to convince them to remove the filter from those sites. I would still try to bolster enthusiasm for the tools with my colleagues because there is power in numbers. The more educators who are keen to utilize a tool, the stronger the argument becomes.


Thanks staff! Let me leave you with this last video to ponder!

7 comments:

  1. Very thoughtful post. I wish my staff were more knowledgable because, like you, I see the power of blogs as creating a professional learning community. I think all staff will like Animoto. They are so easy to use and what a great way to introduce a lesson and grab the kids attention! It will be fun for your staff.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki,
    Your enthusiasm is going to take you a long way this year! Blogs are a great place to start. If you build it first, they will see the benefits of it and how useful it can actually be. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Niki,

    Love the TeacherTube video you finished with. Add another one to the favourites list! I'm going to make a point to revisit our blogs and make sure I have all these gems in one folder.
    Thanks!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Niki, your enthusiasm is vibrating throughout this entire blog. I like your plan of attack! It's interesting that you mention sitting through previous PD session and not catching their passion. I am curious now, because you find yourself in a similar position of sharing your new-found passion. In light of previous PD sessions you've attended, can you see in which ways you could improve the presentations of previous PD speakers? Great post, Niki! I am excited to see where you will go with this ~ Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Niki,

    A nice combination - practical and entertaining; the possibilities are endless. I also will encourage my staff to participate in one new Web 2.0 tool - baby steps.

    Wonderful post, thanks.

    Cheers, May

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you wrote, "I need to be transparent to my colleagues." I thought to myself they are so lucky to have you.

    Being able to have a shoulder to lean on is like having a safety net and makes everyone feel braver about trying a new technology. And they will due to your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I am touched by the praise -- thanks.

    Andrea, great question about the PD. I don't really know. I question whether past presenters really did something "wrong" or if it is just hard to transfer passions and enthusiasm. I think my plan of attack will be just to try to provide the information (in as dynamic way as possible) and try to continue my own momentum and enthusiasm and continue to show that passion to staff with the hopes I will eventually "wear them down"!!! What do you think? Will it work?

    ReplyDelete